April 22 2016 – Delikate Rayne
What does sustainability mean to you? International Earth Day is today so this is the perfect time to ask such a question. Are we truly living our lives in the most sustainable way we possibly can? We take comfort knowing the most efficient way to reduce our carbon foot print and really do our part for the sustainability of the planet is by not only eating a vegan diet but by living a vegan lifestyle.
So what is a vegan lifestyle you ask. In simple terms it is to embody the most compassionate self and to try and live our life doing the least harm we can. We don't contribute to needless suffering of any creature and we make an effort to live an eco friendly existence. But also we need to make being a vegan sustainable for modern day life.
Luckily and not surprisingly for us just about any recipe can be veganized and just about any product can be made without animals. Its never been easier to live a full and happy life as a vegan! Nothing screams sustainability in a diet then cookies. Everyone loves cookie! So we have decided in honor of Earth Day we will make some vegan chocolate chip cookies! These are more delicious than their non-vegan counterparts we kid you not!
½ cup coconut oil
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup almond milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix/combine together the coconut oil & brown sugar, then add the almond milk & vanilla. If the mixture is really liquidy that is totally fine!
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the wet & dry ingredients, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into Tbsp sized balls & place them on an ungreased cookie sheet (or on a sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet), then flatten them out a bit with your palm. The dough may be a little crumbly, but just smoosh it together and it will work fine!
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. (we baked ours till 9 mins which turned out great!)
Recipe courtesy of VeganHouseWives
Imagery courtesy of NeverHomeMaker, IntuitVekB, VeggieonaPenny and Vogue
Words written by Melanie Coggin