COMFORT FOOD FOR YOUR MAMA
Seeing as Mothers Day is coming up we would like to dedicate this weeks recipe to not only our mom but all mothers in all species. All moms love unconditionally and are the reason we are alive so naturally they deserve our up most respect. So making sure we leave the cruelty off the table and from the treats we gift our mom we are assuring we are not contributing to the cruel fate some mothers are met with on a daily basis!
. 3 medium potatoes (3 cups grated)
. 2 TBSP melted vegan butter
. 1/4 Sea salt and pepper
.12.3 ounces extra firm silken tofu, drained and dried
. 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
. 3 TBSP Hummus
. Sea salt and pepper (to taste)
. 3 garlic cloves, chopped
. 2 leeks, thinly sliced and thoroughly cleaned (or 1 onion)
. 3/4 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
. I cup chopped broccoli
. Fresh basil
. Follow you heart vegan cheese (optional as a topping)
. Spring onion
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and lightly spritz a 9.5 inch pie pan with non-stick spray.
2. Grate potatoes and measure out 3 cups. Then transfer to a clean towel and firmly squeeze out excess moisture. Add to pie dish and drizzle with melted vegan butter and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then use fingers press into the pan and up the sides to form an even layer.
3. Bake for 22-27 minutes or until golden brown all over. Set aside.
4. While crust is baking, prep veggies and garlic and add to a baking sheet. Toss with 2 Tbsp olive oil and a healthy pinch each salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place in the 450 degree oven with the crust. When you take out the crust, lower heat to 400 and continue baking until soft and golden brown (a total of 20-30 minutes). Set aside and lower oven heat to 375 degrees.
5. To prepare tofu filling, add drained tofu to a food processor with nutritional yeast, hummus, and a heaping 1/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
6. Remove veggies from oven, add to a mixing bowl and top with the tofu mixture. Toss to coat, then add to the crust and spread into an even layer.
7. Bake quiche at 375 degrees for a total of 30–40 minutes or until then top appears golden brown and firm. If the crust begins to get too brown, loosely tent the edges with foil.
8. Let cool briefly and then serve with fresh herbs or green onion.
Store leftovers loosely covered in the fridge for up to two days. Reheat in the microwave or in a 350 oven.
Recipe and images courtesy of Minimalist Baker